[governance] Remote Participation

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Feb 23 04:43:26 EST 2012

Comment below:

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Firstly thank you Deirdre for copying it onto word and making it much easier
> to incorporate the new feedback that we received from Schombe, Jovan,
> Anriette, Jeremy, Roland, Mariela etc.
>
> Whilst I am copying the text onto this email, I will also place it on the
> Statement Workspace as well:
>

> STATEMENT BY THE CIVIL SOCIETY INTERNET GOVERNANCE CAUCUS ON REMOTE
> PARTICIPATION
>
> We would like to acknowledge the excellent work that the Internet Governance
> Forum Remote Participation Working Group have been doing over the last five
> years. We appreciate the numerous hours of sacrifice and work behind the
> scenes to build remote participation to what it is today.  We have seen how
> whilst Technology is important, that it goes hand in hand with extraordinary
> levels of sacrifice and commitment.  It is this commitment that enables the
> spirit of the IGF which is in sharing, dialogue, collaboration and
> ultimately access.
>
> We are fortunate that the Internet Governance Forum Secretariat and UN DESA
> are open .and committed to continued improvements to Remote Participation.
> Each year the IGF RPWG commences its operations with training of remote
> moderators many weeks ahead of the meeting, where they discuss with remote
> hubs and encourage participation and liaise with the Secretariat to make
> remote participation a reality.
>
> We would like to reiterate and underscore that remote participation is a
> crucial part of organizing the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) and we
> appreciate the effort to provide remote participation for the Open
> Consultation, the Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group (MAG) meetings, and the
> MAG meeting this month – February 2012 – which was opened to observers.
>
> The IGC believes that Remote Participation (RP) should be an integral part
> of Internet Governance and IGF Policy Processes. It is impossible to sustain
> an inclusive global policy process without effective remote participation.
> We would like to explore how we can assist in working together to address
> the issues raised in 2008 by various stakeholders that have yet to be
> addressed[1].
>
> The MAG and IGF Secretariats should start working with the host to ensure
> that real time transcriptions are available for all sessions and not just
> the Main Sessions.

from the Nairobi chair's summary document:

"The entire meeting was Webcast, with video streaming provided from
the main session room and audio streaming provided from all workshop
meeting rooms. All the main sessions and workshops had real time
transcription. The text transcripts and video of all meetings were
made available through the IGF Website."

I think it's petty to complain about technical problems with the
transcripts etc from the MAG meeting, bad connections happen all the
time (and if MAG members can't work out how to tell a group of people
they are having problems with a connection it perhaps says more about
them than it does about the secretariat/moderators.)

Thanks,

Adam