[governance] Remote Participation

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Wed Feb 22 10:39:30 EST 2012

The following is the draft text, which received several changes which
I don't have at hand [yet]  We will have the opportunity to review
this before making all final, but we are also under heavy time
pressure - less than two hours to go...

izumi

----

- Remote participation is an integral part of the IGF. While remote
participation has improved, in particular through remote moderators
and hubs, there is still room for improvement in the following areas:

    - The Secretariat should work together to ensure the availability
of adequate technical and human resources, including remote
moderators.

   - Chairs and moderators should  give remote and onsite
participants equal recognition and the opportunity to participate.

   - Low bandwidth connections to remote participation tools should
be accommodated;

   - Linguistic diversity in remote participation should be fostered
by ensuring online-meeting platforms interface with onsite
interpretation;

- Mechanisms that facilitate remote participation, such as live
transcripts, should be institutionalised. Such mechanisms are invaluable
not only to remote participants, but also to non-native English
speakers, and people with hearing and visual impairments, whether they
are onsite or not.