[governance] Notion of sustainability

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Feb 21 05:10:11 EST 2012

"Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro" <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> The theme for IGF 2012 is Internet Governance for Sustainable Human,
> Economic and Social Development.

I would suggest that this raises an important and very fundamental
question:

What is our understanding of the notion of sustainability in the
context of human, economic and social development?

What publications that wrestle with this kind of question do you
find worthwhile?

My view is that in order for the notion of sustainability to make
sense, one must analyze the world in view of a clear objective of
human, economic and social development (I would propose that this
objective should be something like this: "empower the humans
living today as well as future generations to live in full human
dignity, in the sense of practically enjoying one's human rights,
together with a sense of purpose and belonging and respect for all
humans and also for the non-human forms of life on planet earth")
and seek a workable strategy that aims at achieving that objective
and which in fact is logically convincingly suitable for achieving
the objective. Then activities which fit into such a strategy and
further it can be considered to be part of "sustainable development"
towards this objective.

Greetings,
Norbert