[governance] Human Rights: Security, Openness and Privacy [IGF 2012 - MAG Consultations]

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 16:19:16 EST 2012

Hello all, (and many thanks Sala for providing these threads and
co-ordinating this all)

A few quick views:

ACCESS TO KNOWLEDGE; INTERNET AS TOOL OF PUBLIC CONSULTATION
I'm particularly interested in the 'Access to Knowledge' and 'Internet as a
tool of public consultations' themes, although for the later, I would
suggest framing it as 'Internet as a tool of public /participation/' rather
than /consultation/ would be better - to capture the diverse range of ways
in which the Internet is a tool for connecting governments, governance and
citizens.

ONLINE CHILD PROTECTION:
On the suggestion for (11) on 'Online child protection', I would really
like to see this framed as 'Children's Rights: Protection, Provision and
Participation', rather than solely 'child protection', particularly as this
is falling under a 'human rights' heading.

I've written a bit on the justification for this at
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/23226/ - but essentially, when we adopt
narrow narratives of 'online child protection' we end up (a) neglecting
children and young people's broader set of rights to be active participants
on the web, and to safe and supportive online provision; and (b) we adopt
counter-productive strategies which don't even serve the intended goals of
keeping young people safe from harm online.

Personally I'd love to see some good engagement in a theme like this
between IGF and the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child (
http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/crc/), but I've not succeeded in the
past at working out how best to make that happen: all thoughts welcome.

All the best

Tim

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <
salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> The theme for IGF 2012 is Internet Governance for Sustainable Human,
> Economic and Social Development. The MAG has various groups dealing with
> the following:-
>
>    - consolidate the list of topics under the theme
>    - come up with a coherent description of the theme
>    - come up with a main question and sub questions for the theme
>    (following the way it was organised in 2011)
>
> We would encourage anyone interested in putting forward views on *[HUMAN
> RIGHTS:] SECURITY, OPENNESS AND PRIVACY [AND THEIR IMPACT ON HUMAN RIGHTS]
> *by responding to this thread. We would like to ensure that this
> opportunity for consultation is actively addressed by the list. We will try
> to wrap this up by the 24th February, 2012 and people can volunteer to work
> on consolidating the same by the 24th February, 2012 so it can be put to
> the entire list for a 48 hour period before we ask our current MAG
> representatives to take this forward.
>
> Current list of topics that are being discussed by the MAG are as follows:-
>

>  1)    HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE INTERNET
>
> 2)    FREE FLOW OF INFORMATION
>
> 3)    LEGAL FRAMEWORK REGULATING FREE FLOW
>
> 4)    [FILTERING]
>
> 5)    FRAMEWORKS AND PRINCIPLES,
>
> 6)    INTERNET FRAGMENTATION
>
> 7)    INFORMATION SUPPRESSION AND SURVEILLANCE
>
> 8)    CROSS-BORDER DATA FLOW
>
> 9)    ACCESS TO KNOWLEDGE
>
> 10) CYBERSECURITY, CYBERCRIME AND CLOUD COMPUTING
>
> 11) ONLINE CHILD PROTECTION
>
> 12) INTERACTION WITH INDUSTRY / COOPERATION WITH PRIVATE SECTOR AND LAW
> ENFORCEMENT IN BALANCE WITH HUMAN RIGHTS
>
> 13) SAFEGUARDS
>
> 14) [INTERNET AS A BRIDGE BETWEEN GOVERNMENT AND CIVIL SOCIETY] /
> [INTERNET AS A TOOL OF PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS]
>

> Kind Regards,
>
> --
> Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala
>
> Tweeter: @SalanietaT
> Skype:Salanieta.Tamanikaiwaimaro
> Cell: +679 998 2851

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

http://www.timdavies.org.uk
07834 856 303.
@timdavies

Co-director of Practical Participation:
http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk
Practical Participation Ltd is a registered company in England and Wales -
#5381958.