[governance] Remote Participation

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 21:06:41 EST 2012

Deirdre,

I think that there is an implicit assumption in what you have written
that if only the technical glitches could be corrected then RP would
be "equivalent" to In person participation... I think there are two
problems with this.  The first is that in practice and from my
experience except in extremely limited situations where you are
working with highly experienced people at both ends of the
communication, have access to very significant technical resources,
and a meeting structure specifically designed to accommodate effective
RP can this even be approximated.  In the real world of IG the
likelihood of these conditions being in place (ever) is highly remote.

The second issue is that even when all of the above conditions are in
place unless the decision making process in the meeting has been
redesigned specifically to accommodate remote participation
recognizing all of its practical limitations those participating
remotely will always be at a disadvantage...

This isn't to say that RP is not worth pursuing it most certainly is,
but it is to say that those pursuing it should have no illusions about
what they are asking for. (BTW, I like the suggestion of shifting in
part or at key points to full RP as it puts everyone at a similar
disadvantage or equalizes the participation opportunities for all but
I realize that may not be realistic in this instance for a variety of
reasons.)

If the intention is to ensure an opportunity for effective
participation by those without the means for f2f communication then
that will have to be specifically designed for and that means I think
not focusing specifically on the RP element (only) but rather focusing
on the decision making process as for example working through how to
have an effective "designated speaker" or representative participation
process where those not able to directly participate are able to act
through representatives or surrogates as though they were directly
participating and with a weight similar to those who are directly
participating.

Best,

Mike