[governance] Massive, continuing, and apparently legal invasion of personal privacy

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Feb 17 05:16:55 EST 2012

In message <p06200703cb62ce083221@[10.0.1.4]>, at 10:18:03 on Thu, 16
Feb 2012, George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at gmail.com> writes
>If this group wants a cause célèbre in the area of invasion of personal
>privacy, you might want to consider this report:
>
>http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/google-and-mobile-apps-take-dat
>a-books-without-permission/?hpw

This kind of thing is the reason I have never used any "standard" email
or address book applications bundled with a PC (or a phone) to store
contact information. If there's nothing to steal...

(Of course, my SIM has a small list of mainly other mobile numbers and a
'nickname' for each, but that's the bare minimum for operational
convenience).

Do they ask the user if they can "find more friends" then fail to
explain that the method they use is to examine your address book, rather
than using telepathy or a Ouija board? As a tweet I read yesterday
sarcastically said: "Foursquare knows where I am - what a liberty, they
should stop that immediately".

Or is the "leaky address book friend finding" built in to some of the
applications, and you can't stop it at all? Only 'some' of the listed
applications apparently fail to get permission, it's unfortunate they
don't bother to list which.

I've just finished a project to bring more awareness to vulnerable users
regarding what information leaks from their smartphone, and there's
still more work to do. And understanding what the consequences are of
giving permission is the elephant in the room, rather than the failure
of some applications to ask.

Looking on the bright side, there is concern expressed in the article
about eavesdropping of the traffic, but that's encrypted (on the airwave
segment at least) by A5 in the case of a smartphones, an extra layer of
protection not afforded to fixed Internet users on ADSL or cable.
--
Roland Perry