[governance] Draft IGC short Statement on remote participation

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Thu Feb 16 11:09:44 EST 2012

This is close to what I just said.

Note I added Executive Coordinator and MAG renewal thing at the bottom.

izumi

----
IGC Statement on Remote Participation
Feb 15, 2012

We like to reiterate that remote participation is a crucial part of
organizing IGF and we appreciate the effort to provide remote
participation for the Open consultation and MAG meetings opened to
observers both in the room and also in remote places.

We like to commend the excellent work of the technical team from
Politecnico di Torino, or The Polytechnic University of Turin which
was originally brought by our colleague Vittorio Bertola in the first
place.

Building on that, we like to point out and suggest the followings to
further improve our remote participation, especially mindful of the
limitation of sufficient funding availability for direct participation
we are facing now.

There were some problems with video feeds. There was not a clear
procedure that would encourage remote participants to intervene. We
regret that some remote observers were effectively excluded from the
MAG meeting, because they had no access to live transcript. And we
must add that even Mag members trying to participate online had
difficulty in contacting moderators and making proper settings.

We urge MAG and IGF secretariat and also ourselves, to consider the
followings for the future IGF organizing work and IGF itself and work
together:

- Provide as much interactivity as possible.
- Ensure equal participation between online and offline participants
- Prepare a clear guideline for remote participation and its moderation
- Always assign exclusive remote participation coordinator/moderator
(who do not have other jobs at the same time and is responsible to
interact between the meeting physical participants+ speaker and the
Remote Participants).
- Provide plural means – video, voice and text channel, as well as
real-time transcription and video streaming / coverage of the meeting.
- Enable the meeting and remote participation through interactive
presentations access through Remote Participation.

---

Like European Commission and European Union, IGC is also very
concenred on the issue of Executive Secretariat appointment – delaying
this makes the good organizational works of IGFvery difficult.

Could you, Chiar and DESA tell us when you appoint the new MAG
members? Given a lot of work to come, we like to work together without
much delay.