[governance] A couple of thoughts for the MAG discussion

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Feb 16 03:54:05 EST 2012

at 14:32:45 on Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Deirdre Williams
<williams.deirdre at gmail.com> writes
>One of the people 'at' the MAG meeting
>this morning was in San Francisco, rushing off to lobby - electronically -
>as soon as the meeting was finished. So I would incline to the idea that
>remote participation is fast losing its 'second class' status, and would
>push hard for the 'right' that remote participants should NEVER be treated
>as second class, although they often are now.

In order to manage people's expectations, I think there should be a
grading system for remote participation.

For example, is there a live audio feed, a live video feed,
transcriptions live or transcriptions archived. Is there an archive of
the webcast. Can remote participants have questions read out, or can
they speak to the meeting from their remote location. Is there a
facility for chat between remote participants.

I'm not suggesting that all of these options have to be available for
every meeting, but when there's an expectation of being able to
participate (or indeed as might be the case for today's MAG meeting, to
remotely observe, which is slightly different) and it turns out the
facility is very limited, it can be frustrating.
--
Roland Perry