[governance] Announcing the First Arab IGF

Hanane Boujemi hananeb at diplomacy.edu
Tue Feb 14 15:18:50 EST 2012

Kahlid&Tijani,

There was a lady from Tunisia Ms. Roukia who represented Arab ICT ORG. The
whole AIGF process was delayed for one year due to the Arab spring and
ESCWA had to organize the last consultation meeting to establish the forum
very quickly and it might explain the reason why other CS ORGs from the
Arab region did not manage to participate.

I was very much involved since 2009 in this process. I participated in the
consultaions that took place in 2010 and 2012 and I also constributed with
other CS members from the Arab region to define the Arab IG roadmap
published by UNESCWA and based on which the forum will be organized. I
suppose that the emerging issues since the roadmap was drafted will be also
taken into consideration to define the agenda of the first edition.

Please do follow @IGFArab on Twitter and ArabIGF on Facebook for more
updates about the whole process. It will be great if we get as many Arab CS
members involved. It will be also great to do some outreach at the local
level to define the IG process since the concept is still ambiguous to the
masses in the region. I am afraid a lot of work needs to be done in this
regard.

Hanane Boujemi