AW: [governance] Re: Feb 2012 Geneva meetings [Answers]

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat Feb 11 04:45:13 EST 2012

Hi all,

there is an example where we can refer to. During the PrepComs of the WSIS (202 - 2005), there was a special WSIS Civil Society Bureau (managed by Alain and Louise) which was funded by the overall WSIS budget. This was not a small budget but it enabled CS participation in PrepComs. The elected CS Bureau (about 11 membersrepresenting so-called "CS families") had to manage the applications for CS funding. This was a transparent process.

The problem now is that the WSIS was part of the regular UN/ITU budget, the IGF is not. The compromise of the "unloved" IGF, reached in Tunis, was that the okay for the IGF was based on the condition that there will be no extra funding from the regular UN budget.

Okay time has changed and the funding issue is under consideration in the UNCSTD IGF Improvement WG. My position is that we should call for a "mixed funding" on a sustainable basis (some core functions financed by the UN budget, extra voluntary funding from member states and private corporations, including ICANN but also Facebook, Gogle etc. (based on a five year voluntary commitment). This remains a key issue for the forthcming 5th meeting of the group end of February in geneva (just the other week after MAG).

For the moment Parminders approach to have a two hour "visible walk out" to protest has its merits. But if we do this, we need a more comprehensive approach. A "walk out" has to be embedded into a mix of complementary actions as a letter to the USG, a letter to the IGF Secretariat, a letter to the Chair if the MAG meeting (the Azeri Minister) and a press release. People n Geneva should organize a special press briefing (on Wednesday or Thursday noon) and invite the press people accredited in Geneva. It would make sense also to talk in advance to friendly governments and friendly private corporations which support the CS outcry and to invite them to participate in the press briefing (or at least to give verbal support).

Best wishes

wolfgang (still in the hospital)