[governance] Re: Feb 2012 Geneva meetings [Answers]

Miguel Alcaine miguel.alcaine at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:28:24 EST 2012

Dear All,

I believe a letter - probably 2 - are in order. There are 2 issues: CS
representation in the upcoming MAG meeting and the overall financial issue
for participation in the IGF process.

CS representation in the upcoming MAG should be addressed to the Under
Secretary General and I believe asking to allow any attending CS
participation regardless of being in the MAG.

The financial issue should be addressed to SG, making a recount of the
involution in the topic and remind him of the convenience for the UN system
to find solutions for CS participation in the IG process. CS colleagues in
NY could also help handing the letter in person to the SG.

I would think CS should unify behind some alternatives for its financial
participation in the process, including one coming from UN regular budget,
and push for it in the CSTD WG as much as possible.

I believe CS should remain in the process until 2015 because all actors
will consider it has participated anyway and because it can present a
better case from inside the process.

If withdrawal remains an option, it should be done in a careful way respect
to timing and gain as much visibility as CS can. And before making such
movement, CS should consider which ways will be left to advocate its
positions.

Best,

Miguel

Disclaimer
My ideas are those of my own and does not represent any position of my
employer or any other institution.