Feb 2012 IGF open consultation inputs, was Re: [governance] MAG Selection [URGENT]

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon Feb 6 05:15:25 EST 2012

Hi all

Changing the subjectline...

The CSTD Working Group on IGF improvements will meet in 2 weeks time and
as Marilia said and will finalise its report for May.  Good to get input
from people on the rolling report...

In further response to Michael's question about what role the IGC can
play aside from this input...

Many of the recommendations before that CSTD WG on IGF improvements can
also be made as recommendations for organising the upcoming IGF.

In fact, the Secretariat has already implemented some of these for past
IGFs, such as, for example, MAG members working with interested/informed
individuals from outside the MAG in planning main sessions.

Other recommendations could relate to keeping developing country and
civil society participation strong (e.g. if you look at the
participation statistics - which Chengetai did an excellent report on at
the last CSTD meeting - you will notice that CS participation seems to
have dropped since the previous IGF).

Other recommendations for the next IGF which could be useful for overall
IGF improvements include:

- formats of reports
- evaluation of workshops and main sessions
- workshop formats and workshop application formats
- workshop main session linkages.. and so on
- MAG working methods (for the next IGF)
- communicating IGF outcomes/messages/proceedings more effectively
- how to get more media attention
- improving remote participation .. and so on

In other words, it would be strategic for IGC people to scan the WG in
IGF improvement reports and reinforce recommendations they agree with by
also making those that are relevant in the short term in the context of
the upcoming IGF.

Best

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692