[governance] MAG Selection [URGENT]

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:22:27 EST 2012

Dear All,

Thank you everyone for suggested improvements on MAG Selection from
individuals and also those developed outside the IGC.

Thank you Marilia for alerting us to the draft text that was developed by
the Working Group on IGF Improvements. This will be a separate discussion
and one that will definitely be looked into by the IGC. Once we set up a
discussion platform "wiki style" on the IGC website, the IGC will be
invited to comment and encourage discussion and dialogue around the area.

There are numerous processes that require constant improvement to ensure
that the IGC Charter Objectives are met and that is to promote *global
public interest* objectives in Internet Governance Policy making. The use
of the word of "Global" makes "representation" a key issue to properly
represent the various geographical regions as they are able to advocate on
issues that affect these regions specifically. The issues of selection
criteria can be properly debated and teased out within the list.

The NomCom in this instance have concluded their selection process. The IGC
during the process made suggestions through the email on the criteria. On
one view it is unethical to "influence" the critera whilst selection as the
criteria should be developed prior to the appointment of the NomCom. For
this, I apologise to the list for the oversight.

Moving forward, I would like to re-iterate for the record that suggestions
for NomCom improvement are not criticisms against the NomCom who have done
what they were commissioned to do, which is to select Nominees. The absence
of a Guideline is not their fault and neither is it their task nor mission.
Their role is strictly confined to selection. Please allow me to take this
time to thank Jacqueline and her Team for their work.

Now that the Selection Process has been concluded, it is only proper that
we wait for the Report by the NomCom Chair. As much as possible whilst the
issues are related, that is of current selection and improvements to the
process, I would like to keep these discussions "separate".

Kind Regards,
Sala