[governance] MAG Selection [URGENT]

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Fri Feb 3 06:17:54 EST 2012

Dear Parminder and all

On 02/02/12 02:31, parminder wrote:
> Congrats to all the nominees. A very good list.

Yes.. congrats to all.

> However, independent of the results produced which I welcome and
> support, I strongly agree with the sentiment of Avri's questions below.

Yes, so do I.

> Representativity is the central issue of democracy, and its processes
> must be taken very very seriously, even if sometimes just forthe
> process's sake. I may be wrong, but I seem not to have seen the kind of
> openness (proactive and not just formal), transparency, out-reach effort
> etc that is required for the nomination/ election activity. Things like:
> we need to make repeated calls for nomination, encourage people to
> nominate themselves and others, pulbicize the process and perhaps the
> list of nomcom members as well, make active out reach to various CS
> entities inviting nomination, keeping the list posted of all
> developments, ......
>
> For instance, APC I am sure will forward its own slate of names to the
> IGF secretariat. They should have been invited to submit their nominees
> for IGC nomcom's consideration as well (and this has happened in the
> past).

Parminder, we actually did submit our list of names to the IGC nomcom as
we think the IGC selection is an important one.  We are not sure that
the IGC nomcom considered our list as did not receive any acknowledgement.

One person on our list is in the IGC list: Bill Drake, and we are happy
to see this. Bill has worked very hard with the MAG as a 'non-MAG'
member from the beginning, and has been a strong advocate for
development issues and CS interests, so I really hope he does make the MAG.

The other people on our list were (as Bill posted).

Carlos Afonso (Brazil)
Magaly Pazello (Brazil)
Shahzad Ahmad (Pakistan)
Anriette Esterhuysen (South Africa)
David Souter (United Kingdom /IISD)

We will send these directly to the secretariat as well.

Anriette

Enriching our catchment of potential candidates and thus the

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692