[governance] Re: Access Challenges: Internet Governance

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 16:50:37 EST 2012

Dear All,

These are excerpts from another thread that is related to *Access*.

" *I know well that some - far away - people just cannot understand what it
actually means not to have regular electricity.

Just to share a memory: when I operated the only ISP in Cambodia early 1994
to mid 1997, this was my electricity supply for the system, which I put
together from what I could find on the local market:

Japanese 24 Volt DC truck battery
Thai charger from 220 AC when we had public electricity supply
*

*US inverter 24 V **DC to 110 V AC (specially imported)*

* Vietnamese transformer 110 V AC to 220 V AC
home grown 220 V AC - mostly enough capacity, but not always - until the
public electricity started again

Sorry, a bit off list - but it is a plea to all who do not have regular
electricity disruptions, to understand what different
economic/technological conditions can mean."

Norbert Klein*

*"I had the privilege to visit our dear compa Norbert in Phnom Penh around
that time and testify to the incredible magic he managed to make with
those disparate electrical parts to keep the system alive."*

*
*

*Carlos Afonso*

* *

*yes the issues are complex. The prices of such devices especially when
the economy is totally in the dirt makes it really hard to manage the
kitchen and invest in such solutions. Lets hope for the best. They
also shot up the oil prices last night and things are just beyond
control......we are an immature democracy but the governance doesn't
seem to get its act straight even after completing almost 4 years of
government.*

*
*

*Fouad Bajwa*