[governance] Draft compilation for IG4D Themes for IGF2012

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Tue Feb 28 15:17:46 EST 2012

Dear List,

I was asked by Sala to try to consolidate various ideas for the MAG working
on the IGF2012 themes.

I could not really "consolidate", but here are the compilations from
the Pirate Pad and this mailing list: I just listed the different
topics suggested under IG4D thread and Pirate Pad, and made in
Question form.

Not too much help, but given my very limited time now,I hope Fouad
could use them somehow into his input to MAG. I will try to work on
other themes as well, if not all at once.

Many thanks,

izumi

--------------------------
IG4D themes

•What are specific global Internet governance issues that have
particular relevance to development?
•How can we Increase participation of stakeholders from developing
countries with a special focus on Increasing Youth and Women
participation in IG from Least Developed Countries?
•Can IG, access, development and rights be inextricably linked to the
rule of law in developing countries?
•How can convergence of Internet and Mobile Technology help in
bridging the gap and what needs to be done in the next 12 months?
•Where can IG decisions stimulate work on building community skills
and capabilities to take advantage of ICTs in development?

[Emerging issues for IG4D]
•How can Open Data affect Development and what are the governance
issues around Open Data?

These might fit into the general emerging issues track, but a
development-centred look at these issues could also be useful).

•How can IG4D become pertinent to social inclusion and development in Africa?
-Sub-theme:
 *How to promote Internet education in Africa and develop and advocate
for policies and initiatives that governments could adopt in this
respect?
 *IT literacy and Internet literacy programmes targeted at particular
populations such as housewives, youth, military personnel, farmers and
socially excluded sectors such as low-income families and the
disabled. This would be a critical and necessary step in order to
increase internet uptake in Africa, bridge the digital divide, and
promote social inclusion as well.

Broadband - Catalyst for Growth
•How to help developing countries to establish broadband policies
which have direct link to their sustainable social and economic
development?
Could we learn from some leading examples in light of recent global
economic turmoil?
 Suggested sub themes could be:
- Policy Considerations;
- From Rags to Riches [eg. of countries who have climbed out of poverty]
- Stimulus - how to deal with the challenges
     governance at lists.cpsr.org