[governance] So Who (or What) is Managing Privacy for/by the 1 Billion+

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 01:02:48 EST 2012

Thanks Suresh, you made my case…

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian [mailto:suresh at hserus.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:08 PM
To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org; David Conrad
Cc: michael gurstein; <governance at lists.igcaucus.org>
Subject: Re: [governance] So Who (or What) is Managing Privacy for/by the 1 Billion+

Facebook is based in the USA and its terms of use is under US jurisdiction

Any country at all can assert longarm jurisdiction based on facebook's

* Having an office of some sort in their country

* Having users in their country [doing business]

* Someone's actions using facebook harming citizens of their country

In such a case, they can either subpoena facebook's local office in their country if one exists, or they can use MLATs / go through Interpol to reach out, through US law enforcement, to Facebook in the USA.

As for the rest of it - I think I covered all this when we were talking about google just the other day, and I don't propose to repeat myself any more than I already have.

--srs (iPad)