[governance] FW: [Dewayne-Net] Google: Copyright removal requests spike to 2.5 million per week

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Dec 26 05:56:36 EST 2012

In message <009e01cde34c$ab176830$01463890$@hserus.net>, at 15:07:45 on
Wed, 26 Dec 2012, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> writes
>So, when such requests come in, a simple test (with which you'd begin) would
>be - is the content illegal both under US as well as local law?

And by co-incidence I expect that much of the alleged copyright
infringement is regarding content (intellectual property) that has a
strong US flavour. We have Hollywood, and their world-leading[1] music
industry, to thank for that I suppose.

Rather like the good/bad spam debate, I don't think it's helpful to
characterise attempts to thwart piracy of entertainment media as
"censorship". But when a someone steals your educational pamphlet[2] and
markets it for themselves, there ought to be some redress for the
affected party.

Neither do I think it's right to falsely claim copyright infringement in
order to suppress a competitor or critic, but the DMCA does at least
have measures in it to mitigate that.

[1] Apologies to any Beatles fans.
[2] Happened to me last month.
--