[governance] A false consensus is broken

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 12:27:57 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, why this pre-occupation with one perhaps infelicitous turn of
>
> (journalistic/diplomatic?) phrase ...
>

> Because it's not true, and anyone who has been on this list and/or
> read one or two news articles would know it's not true. Or, someone
> could go to the transcripts of the meeting and it would be perfectly
> clear.   Parminder makes the claim throughout the article, so hardly
> an accident.  As we know from his usual bile against anything
> "northern", it looks pretty deliberate.
>
> This is an OpEd in a major newspaper.  The Indian government said they
> will hold a public consultation about the outcome of WICT and whether
> the country should sign etc.  Clearly it's in this context Parminder's
> writing.

Even if the above strings of inferences regarding Parminder's authorship
are assumed correct,  those attacking Parminder engage in a form of the
same thing Parminder stands accused of:

On one hand, in a "zeal" to attack things "northern", Parminder may have
made a factually incorrect assertion, if he is the author.
On the other hand, in a zeal to make a sustained attack the southern
Parminder, others strain civility past the breaking point. (I'll not repeat
the names used here...)

Of the two, it is easier to correct and repair a factual misstatement than
it is to correct and repair civility. Such factual repairs need not consist
of hauling someone before a worldwide listserv repeatedly, until some
demanded admission of correct fact is publicly made.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1
lehto.paul at gmail.com