[governance] Fwd: Your sign on requested- Civil society statement post-WCIT

Koven Ronald kovenronald at aol.com
Fri Dec 21 00:43:27 EST 2012

Dear All --

This statement strikes me as ambivalent to the point of internal contradiction over whether we want to be engaged with the ITU on Internet issues, If we think ITU does and/or should have a role in Internet governance, then it makes sense to demand better representation in its processes. If, however, we mean what we say when we say we regret adoption of a resolution in effect involving ITU with the Internet, then it hardly seems to make sense for the Internet Governance Caucus and its friends and allies to seek broader participation in ITU.

The IGC is not about the ITU's historic mandates in traditional telecommunications or world radio spectrum allocation. If we want it to stick to its last and stay away from Internet regulation, then why would we want to become more involved with it ?

Bests, Rony Koven