[governance] Reply to Milton's blog post

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Wed Dec 19 17:22:15 EST 2012

+1

If I may follow on from Jean-Louis' note, and rewind the clock to tell a story, this is the existential dilemma ITU has been stuck on since the dawn of the Internet epoch:

~20 years ago with DARPA broadband project $ I supported an MIT student to spend summer assisting ITU with a TIES upgrade to make its docs more easily accessible across the pre-public, not web, net. Of course, my and DARPA's motivations was to make the ITU's standards and related docs more accessible. Which my student helped ITU do...for all those dues paying members Jean-Louis mentioned.

So DARPA (and I) got nowhere 20 years ago, Jean-Louis got nowhere 10-5 years ago; and we are surprised by how things proceeded at WCIT?

The ITU's - business model - is stuck in the 1980s, and can't get out. That's the core problem.

It makes it very  hard for everyone else when trying to deal with a 'public international' agency whose core internal metric is - dues, and document charges.  Since governments have never funded ITU lavishly assuming given its sectoral responsibilities, it should be able to pay its own way more than say UNCTAD, or UNGA.
Jean-Louis asking for a few free seats for invited CS experts threatens to crumble the whole show, hence Toure's reaction back in the day.

And hence the irony of ITU convening WSIS, for which it should be applauded; but being unable to internalize its principles; eg at WCIT.

Lee