[governance] democracy (was Re: NY article expresses surprise at US walkout in Dubai)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Dec 19 02:55:21 EST 2012

Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com> wrote:

> A real measure of democracy would have to have core measurements that
> have clear cut failing points at which the country as a whole fails
> to be democratic.

Azerbaijan, Germany, Kenya, Switzerland and the U.S.A. (listed in
alphabetic order) would in my opinion all fail any reasonable such test
of the "country as a whole" being democratic. (I think that probably
every country in the world could be added to this list, but I wanted to
list only countries about which I know enough that I can defend my
assertion if someone challenges it.)

But some of these failures are worse (or in the case of Azerbaijan, very
much worse) than others.

I would suggest that that "Democracy Index" gives an indication of how
bad the failures are in the various countries.

Greetings,
Norbert