[governance] Clues for WCIT issues and prospects

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 11:24:14 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Dominique Lacroix <dl at panamo.eu> wrote:
> McTim, you told about a "happy" experience because in Kenya (one of the rare
> African countries who voted as US and allies), you saw Isoc spreading with
> success its concepts and organisation.

NO, you just aren't listening I fear.

The ISOC staff are both Kenyan working from Nairobi.

They work ALL OVER Africa on IXP building and other technical workshops.

ISOC supports (and has helped to train) thousands of folk ALL OVER Africa.

> And Kenya is in the Top 4 of Internet penetration in Africa with a 12%
> figure.

The prices I submitted were because of my recent personal experience.

Prior to living in kenya, I lived in Uganda, where retail prices for
connectivity are actually lower than in Kenya.  This is largely due to
market forces.

South Africa has long been one of the cheapest African places to get
connected, this is because of scale, as Suresh mentioned.

South Africans have been fighting the ITU /state-owned Telkom monopoly
mindset for years.

> After 20 years of efforts, I cannot name that a "success".

The main thrust of ISOC is as a home to the IETF, they have been entirely
successful in promoting the open, bottom-up consensus based model of Internet
decision making to all areas of the globe.

It's entirely unrealistic to say that because there is a digital
divide, ISOC has not been a success.

> ITU is a better place for a lot of subjects in telecommunications.
>
> Could you built Internet without telecommunications?

YES

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internetworking
Internetworking (a combination of the words inter ("between") and
networking; it is not internet-working or international-network) is
the practice of connecting a computer network with other networks
through the use of gateways that provide a common method of routing
information packets between the networks. The resulting system of
interconnected networks is called an internetwork, or simply an
internet.

> Would IETF or ICANN deal with mobile roaming concerns? and so on.

no, of course not, as it is not in scope for them, nor should the ITU
be concerned with SPAM, content regulation, Internet naming,
numbering, etc.

I'm just not seeing your point.

--
Cheers,