[governance] Internet humbles UN telecoms agency

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Mon Dec 17 06:42:38 EST 2012

On Dec 15 21:46, parminder (parminder at itforchange.net) wrote:

> >In the preamble:
> >
> >"These Regulations recognize the right of access of Member States to
> >international telecommunication services."
>
> Tapani, what is it that you find objectionable and dangerous in
> this.... I would think that such a statement should be a obvious and
> necessary part on any treaty on global communication. It is such a
> basic statement......

My understanding is that that languate would imply narrowing
UN-approved sanctions list (and in particular, force USA to give up
part of its blockade against Cuba) and add an entirely new type of
"state right" with unclear implications to UN language - not something
that should be done without careful negotiation, certainly not by
inserting a statement without vote at the last minute to a treaty.

--
Tapani Tarvainen