[governance] NY article expresses surprise at US walkout in Dubai

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 10:26:08 EST 2012

This is a good article because every story can be interpreted in many ways
and all of them deserve to be told. NYT presents some interesting
reflections, at least to balance a very monolithic media analysis so far.

Marilia

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

> [image: New York Times]
> Message, if Murky, From U.S. to the World
>
>    - *by* ERIC PFANNER
>    - ** Dec. 14, 2012 **
>
> **
>  ** **
>
> At the global treaty conference on telecommunications here, the United
> States got most of what it wanted. But then it refused to sign the document
> and left in a huff.
>
> What was that all about? And what does it say about the future of the
> Internet — which was virtually invented by the United States but now has
> many more users in the rest of the world?
>
> It may mean little about how the Internet will operate in the coming
> years. But it might mean everything about the United States’ refusal to
> acknowledge even symbolic global oversight of the network.
>
> The American delegation, joined by a handful of Western allies, derided
> the treaty as a threat to Internet freedom. But most other nations signed
> it. And other participants in the two weeks of talks here were left
> wondering on Friday whether the Americans had been negotiating in good
> faith or had planned all along to engage in a public debate only to make a
> dramatic exit, as they did near midnight on Thursday as the signing
> deadline approached.
>
> The head of the American delegation, Terry Kramer, announced that it was
> “with a heavy heart” that he could not “sign the agreement in its current
> form.” United States delegates said the pact could encourage censorship and
> undermine the existing, hands-off approach to Internet oversight and
> replace it with government control.
>
> Anyone reading the treaty, though, might be puzzled by these assertions.
> “Internet” does not appear anywhere in the 10-page text, which deals mostly
> with matters like the fees that telecommunications networks should charge
> one another for connecting calls across borders. After being excised from
> the pact at United States insistence, the I-word was consigned to a
> soft-pedaled resolution that is attached to the treaty.
>
> The first paragraph of the treaty states: “These regulations do not
> address the content-related aspects of telecommunications.” That convoluted
> phrasing was understood by all parties to refer to the Internet, delegates
> said, but without referring to it by name so no one could call it an
> Internet treaty.
>
> A preamble to the treaty commits the signers to adopt the regulations “in
> a manner that respects and upholds their human rights obligations.”
>
> Both of these provisions were added during the final days of haggling in
> Dubai, with the support of the United States. If anything, the new treaty
> appears to make it more intellectually challenging for governments like
> China and Iran to justify their current censorship of the Internet.
>
> What’s more, two other proposals that raised objections from the United
> States were removed. One of those stated that treaty signers should share
> [...]

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center for Technology and Society
Getulio Vargas Foundation