[governance] Reply to Milton's blog post

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Sun Dec 16 08:14:10 EST 2012

> In closing, I’d say that this was not only a failure of the ITRs and the
> ITU, it was a failure of Internet Governance too. Civil Society has the
> ability to bridge the gap – and I know of several governments that have
> understood this. Let’s work together to ensure we will never live again
> a similar WCIT full of mistrust and despair.

I do not see it as a failure.

This was but one scene in a long play.  As I read the analyses, as in most complex issues  i think most of them have glimmers of truth and most miss at least some points.  It will take a while to move out of the immediate reaction phase of analysis to considered analysis.

I think MM is right in adding yet another contributing issue to the reason for non-signing. But I think he is wrong when he calls all the reasons he disagrees with hypocritical.  Given that this is a MM piece we are talking about, we need to sort of overlook that bit of hyperbole, and find the good point he makes and add it to the overall analysis.

I did not see more mistrust than is normal in an international setting.  Or any human setting;  get more than 1000+ people in a room arguing about stuff they beleive in for weeks, there is going to be a bit of stress.   And as for despair, i think that was mostly sleep deprivation. I think there was very little real despair, except perhaps in those given to despair. The fighters and players in the room are tallying up their wins, losses and ties and gearing up for the next act.

I do not think we can call this a failure, for any of the perspectives.  The negotiations for the items in this ITR will continue for another few years, and the offending resolution will be much discussed between now and PP-14.  It will be impossible to judge it a success or failure until 2015 when it takes effect.  I think the discussion was a draw, everybody got a bit of what they wanted, a treaty was agreed to and the discussions continue.

What is there to despair about?

avri