[governance] WCIT melt down

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Dec 15 10:09:11 EST 2012

In message <E07AB4D4-4266-43CF-BD2B-4ACA0EB3D006 at istaff.org>, at
09:33:42 on Sat, 15 Dec 2012, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> writes

>One of the most important things the CS can provide is a
>clear, consistent  vision of what participatory multistakeholder
>Internet governance should look  like, including a well-defined role
>for governments which is consistent with  their public policy role and
>obligations.

Agreed. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any constructive
suggestions from that direction.

>I imagine this vision is not primarily based on a "1 government, 1
>vote" model, but similarly it probably cannot be "all governments sit
>at the same table as  everyone else in all circumstances, and by the
>way, one government has a  unique role due to historical circumstances.

And why does the "United States of Europe" have 27 votes and the USA
only one? You couldn't find more different political objectives between
California and Texas if you tried.

Elsewhere, why does Monaco with 36k population get the same vote as
China with 1.3 billion?
--
Roland Perry