[governance] Fwd: [] US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Dec 15 03:47:50 EST 2012

On 12/14/2012 11:33 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> " ARTICLE 5A
> Security and robustness of networks
>
> 41B             Member States shall individually and collectively
> endeavour to ensure the security and robustness of international
> telecommunication networks...
>
> First what is security at the telecommunication layer other that
> robustness?...

One thing that I've always wanted to see is some line that allows those
of us who diagnose and repair networks to do our work without being
accused of being nefarious beings of malevolent intent.

A surgeon brings sharp, potentially dangerous tools to the operating table.

Those of us who diagnose and repair networks also have sharp tools in
our toolkits.

In both cases those tools are ambiguous - they could cause harm or cause
good.

There needs to be some sort of demarcation that allows for network
diagnosis and repair.  This goes not merely to the use of tools but also
some recognition that during repair and diagnosis that sometimes things
that are private are revealed to the repair team.

Otherwise the security measures that "endeavour to ensure the security
and robustness of international telecommunication networks" could easily
become barriers that cause networks to be, in sum, less robust.

	--karl--