[governance] ITRs: What if...

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Dec 14 01:08:50 EST 2012

In industry associations that focus on best practices (like MAAWG for ISP security and spam) there are codes of best practice that you agree to.  While they are not binding in that you are required to adopt them entirely, gross violations of that code of practice would render your organization ineligible to be a member of MAAWG, for example.

This is consensus based and rather different from binding treaties, but it is the best that the industry can come up with.

--srs (iPad)

On 14-Dec-2012, at 11:28, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh I'm sure they talk to each others, passing contracts, forming
> joint-ventures and even partnerships, etc. I guess it's another
> business altogether to have to set or agree on rules with peers you
> don't get to chose (as you would with, say, a contract). I quickly
> have to add, though, that the case of industry associations you
> rightly mention is interesting. The exemplar that comes to mind is
> IETF --as a "private" standard-setting entity (and by private, I mean
> non-governmental as well as non-corporational but based on individual
> capacity, ideally). So the question is this: is there still any
> legitimate role for treaty organizations, and for treaties, in any
> technology-driven field? Or suffices to set technical standards the
> IETF way (note that even within ITU technical standards are highly
> shaped by industry participants but the process is certainly
> different) and send the old sovereigns to their backyard for
> policy-making and whatever else they want to do at home with those
> technical standards? Will we (all stakeholders) be able to agree on a
> clear mechanism or set of principles to determine what may/should
> belong in a treaty and what may/should be left to business and other
> private actors? Or maybe none of that is needed, and we'll just have
> to gauge support and opposition on case by case basis, which will not
> necessarily spare us more debacles such as this WCIT12. Just asking...
>
> Mawaki
>

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian
> <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
>> But they do talk to each other and subject to the usual wrangling between
>> competitors there is usually consensus at least within a country, not to
>> mention shared membership in industry associations
>>
>> --srs (htc one x)

>>> Suva