[governance] Internet humbles UN telecoms agency

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Dec 13 18:50:22 EST 2012

On Dec 13, 2012, at 2:16 PM, Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Only in a twisted society lack of dialogue and understanding will be seen as victory and only irresponsible people celebrate failure.

I agree, but will also observe that if the goal was improved dialogue and
understanding of the issues, I cannot fathom a worse process than the
one provided by the ITU at WCIT for accomplishing such.   As a sector
member present at the meeting, there were many occasions where more
common ground may have been found, if actual forthright discussion of
the underlying problems and solutions being proposed via particular text
were allowed.  Instead, the process was epic tragedy of closed private
meetings and procedural games, with quite predictable results.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimers:  None.  This email is my official multistakeholder summary of this
mailing lists full consideration of this topic, as prepared under the newest Dubai
"multistakeholder" definition, in which each of you can send inputs but they won't
actually be considered by my decisional processes.  Enjoy your participation... ;-)