[governance] Internet humbles UN telecoms agency

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 18:47:33 EST 2012

The challenge here is that for much of the developing world with
national telecom regulators, there are already firewalls, filters,
blocks and DPI implemented and can so for Pakistan. The WCIT/ITRs
would have not suggested the other way to remove such challenges and
authority. The impact of what has been decided at WCIT is indeed
premature and the present only presents normative views that will
surely get challenged as we move on. Civil Society will have to be
vigilant beyond the WCIT/ITRs and continue to raise our voice against
the mistreatment already taking place as well as to any future
efforts.

Even before the WCIT/ITRs, the ITU Cybercrime Initiative and the
efforts of the Commonwealth CCI pose challenges to how countries
interpret these agendas and attempt to design and move forward with
legislation that may tread on the freedoms of citizens in developing
countries. The ITRs are just one bullet point of the set of problems
we face.

CS be vigilant towards attempts by governments that have already put
in place measures to counter or interfere FoE and HR....

....Beyond ITRs, where are we and where do we go from here?

FooDaBytes!