[governance] Re: Telecom TV on Google and Taxes

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 08:49:18 EST 2012

On 2012/12/13 12:39 PM, parminder wrote:
> I mean that while tax accrual is of course national, the issue of fair
> accrual and distribution in case of global businesses, especially when
> transacted in the global cyberspace, in indeed an international issue
> and not just national...

Parminder, this is essentially a distribution issue - trickle up or
trickle down. As McTim puts it, these games on tax that are played are
legal... and with the fungibility of Intellectual Property Rights (ever
wonder why DVD recorders cost way more than VCRs used to and are less
available) and digital transactions ON TOP of a reckoning system that
allows transfer pricing (for anything, digital or otherwise) this makes
for a complex issue. But legality certainly matters. One has to add to
the mix the US Congress (acting for their base, not the voters perhaps)
tax holidays for repatriation of earnings sans tax, then we are talking
about the issue in a more appropriate, imho, context...

So looking at who benefits is important, in the context of how does the
state through tax benefit/redistribute. Also important is the way common
cause is made between public interest and the pursuit of profit. There
is sometimes a good convergence and other times not. It depends.

On 2012/12/13 01:54 PM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> What is the proper way to define a policy on this for us?

Here there are technical issues, but also distributional ones. Those who
make the free market/liberal type (at the risk of some
oversimplification) arguments without taking market
power/share/dominance into account seem to miss the seminal issues
raised by this tax issue.

On 2012/12/13 03:05 PM, McTim wrote:
> but don't criticize companies for doing things that are legal!

As the financial crisis shows, the problem IS what is legal. Is it fair?
Is it just? Is it equitable? For civil society, and the remarkable Tax
Justice Network (or UK UnCut) these are fair questions.

And here we may well differ.