[governance] Facebook customer outreach on privacy policy backfires

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Dec 12 03:50:05 EST 2012

In message
<CAJwbTiAYBMYyR=7wV7scK0QrNKReiSgum=LPACunSyb2jf_2Jw at mail.gmail.com>, at
20:25:37 on Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> writes

>I am thinking of the German regulators who admonished Facebook for the
>use of "the like tag"

There's not much wrong with the "Like" tag, because no-one is forcing
you to attach it, and it's pretty obvious what it does.

Where the unexpected consequences creep in is when, unexpectedly, it's
grabbed by the entity you "liked", and used as an advert; eg "Roland
Likes Starbucks" and sent out to people I've never heard of.
--
Roland Perry