[governance] Internetistan, or the Bit Boat... a new approach to Internet governance!

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:45:47 EST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Bertrand de La Chapelle
<bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Nick,
>
> Just a brief comment on the issue of "transit traffic". This is an
> interesting component to explore. As I have often said, I believe that Egypt
> acted in reference to an implicit emerging international principle of
> "non-tampering with transit traffic" when it blocked access to the Internet
> during the Arab Spring but did not impact the transit traffic serving the
> easter coast of Africa.

I'm not sure they could have done so (short of severing the submarine cables).

IIRC, the BGP sessions from ASes of Egyptian networks were brought down,
and East Africa traffic doesn't pass thru Egyptian IXPs or networks.
In other words,
when I would do a traceroute from Kenya to the EU, the Mombasa to
Marseille leg is just one hop.

They did however, make the cable laying company shift the cable from
the east side of the Suez
to the west side, which slowed construction and made the project cost more.

But I do see your point.

--
Cheers,

McTim