[governance] IGC: WCIT process - Open Letter to ITU: IRP Coalition as signatory?

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 16:12:54 EST 2012

Good summary Bill. Lets see if there is going to be some consensus (less brackets or non at all) starting tomorrow at 11.RgdsGrace

From: william.drake at uzh.ch
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 23:24:02 +0400
CC: governance at lists.igcaucus.org; pouzin at well.com; salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
To: jlfullsack at orange.fr
Subject: Re: [governance] IGC: WCIT process - Open Letter to ITU: IRP Coalition as signatory?

Hi
About 20 CS people met today with SG Toure in Dubai.  He has the letter, and the main points were repeated verbally.  No immediate commitments on these or real replies to specific questions on items like public participation in the May WTPF, but folks were varyingly optimistic that a dialogue has been opened and there's something to build on.
In the meanwhile, the wider situation has evolved here.  With the parties far apart on many issues and basically two days left to negotiate, small groups of government reps from xxx countries (not clear exactly who/how many) went behind closed doors at 10:30pm to see if they can pull a rabbit out of a hat (or insert your preferred metaphor) and come back to plenary tomorrow at 11 am with something for everyone to work on.  So contrary to some rumors that were floating about, there's no SG text, and at the moment the likelihood of a magic compromise vs. a train wreck is pretty hard to work out.  Many variables interacting, so one could paint diametrically opposed but equally plausible scenarios.
In this stressed context, I don't think there's going to be a lot of energy devoted to responding to CS concerns about transparency and inclusion.  Nevertheless, the caucus may wish to endorse the letter to be on record alongside other advocacy groups and networks, particularly with an eye to the WTPF.  Which, BTW, will be held the week before the IGF consultation and MAG meeting in May—would be a good time to come to Geneva if possible.
Best,
Bill

On Dec 10, 2012, at 10:01 PM, Jean-Louis FULLSACK wrote:Louis, Bill and all I suggest that the letter should also be sent to the Members of the ITU Council. This would ensure a good distribution amidst the member-states and recieve a better/wider echo. Subsequently, the Council could put the content of the letter on his agenda for the coming meetinge.Memebers areAmericas : Argentina, Brasil, Canada, Costa-Rica, Cuba, Mexico, Paraguay, United States, VenezuelaEurope West : France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, TurkeyEurope East : Bulgaria, Poland, Tchech Republic, Romania, RussiaAfrica : Algeria, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Mali, Maroc, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Rep. South Africa, TunisiaAsia Australia : Australia, Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea (Rep. of), Koweit, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Saoudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates

 Best regards Jean-Louis Fullsack

> Message du 10/12/12 04:06
> De : "William Drake"
> A : governance at lists.igcaucus.org, "Louis Pouzin (well)"
> Copie à : "Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro"
> Objet : Re: [governance] IGC: WCIT process - Open Letter to ITU: IRP Coalition as signatory?
>
>Hi

While Louis is of course right that it's member states who vote, Toure is expected to put forward a "compromise text" that may become the focal point of discussion, and  Al-Ghanim runs the discussion and plays the usual role of cajoling members to alter or withdraw proposals in the spirit of compromise so the process may move forward etc.  Moreover, both may bring it to the attention of the delegations. So I don't think the letter is misdirected at all.

Best,

Bill

On Dec 10, 2012, at 3:35 AM, Louis Pouzin (well) wrote:

Hi,

> This letter is adressed to Secretary General Touré and WCIT-12 Chairman Al-Ghanim, neither of them being institutionally mandated to decide about the provisions proposed by CS.
>
> This may stem from a common misperception of ITU structures. Touré and Al-Ghanim are neither ITU CEO nor Chair. Decision power belongs to 193 ITU members. It would be logical that the CS letter did ask Touré and Al-Ghanim to relay to ITU members CS complaints and proposals.
>
> Louis
> - - -

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

Dear IGC,

If there is enough support from the IGC to support the open letter to the ITU, we could add the IGC to the list.

See Marianne's email below to the IRP Coalition.

Kind Regards,

     governance at lists.igcaucus.org