[governance] Blogpost: (Whose) Hand off (What) Internet? Some Reflections on WCIT 2012

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 10:08:04 EST 2012

Good question McTim.

At a normative/values level I do agree with the HOI folks except that I
think that their position fails in three ways for one reason as I think is
quite evident from what is currently transpiring at WCIT.

Because the "Hands off the Internet" folks don't go beyond the negative into
some positive vision/declaration of where/how they think the Internet should
be "governed" (beyond an untenable status quo)--the position fails by first
being contaminated by the blatant national/commercial self-interest of its
primary movers and bankers; second, it doesn't deal with the quite evident
financial inequities/assymetries that are resulting from the status quo; and
third it doesn't provide any guide posts for resolving the myriad of issues
that are emerging that require some sort of global
management/governance/resolution framework--again beyond an unsustainable
status quo.

Best,