[governance] Russia’s insistence on U.N. control over the Internet could see collapse of global meet

Fahd A. Batayneh fahd.batayneh at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 16:08:42 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

>       [image: Return to frontpage] <http://www.thehindu.com/>
>    News <http://www.thehindu.com/news/> » National<http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/> Published: December 9, 2012 00:46 IST | Updated: December 9, 2012 00:46 IST
> Russia’s insistence on U.N. control over the Internet could see collapse
> of global meet Shalini Singh
>
> It’s Russia, China, and Arab states versus E.U., U.S. and Japan; India is
> silent

It's been widely disseminated that the "Arab States" are taking the
position of China and Russia. While Arab States are 22 in total, it is only
Saudi Arabia (major player), Tunisia, and Egypt (both to some extent) who
are pushing for moving Internet control to the ITU. The rest of the 19 Arab
States are just following the discussions with not much clear position
(more like 'cheerleaders').

(snip)Arab States’ stance

> Meanwhile, Dubai as the Conference Chair and UAE as the host, are
> increasingly getting nervous because of the Arab States’ stance, which is
> perceived to favour the Russian and Chinese positions.
>
> Another reason for their nervousness is that a failed conference could
> further hurt the UAE’s reputation on the issue of online freedom and free
> speech.

This statement - IMHO - is far from reality. Since when did local hosts
face the fear of failing and tarnishing their reputation when it comes to
online freedom and free speech? Is the writer trying to say that Dubai was
selected as the venue of WCIT-12 as means to ensure Arab States are on the
same side as the USA, EU, and Japan? And besides, we all know that it is
China and Russia who are the heavyweights, and to some extent Saudi Arabia.

Poor article... Or maybe poorly circulated information.

Fahd