[governance] Sovereignty and the Geography of Cyberspace

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 11:44:53 EST 2012

Dear Diego,

You wrote:
*how do we deal with attribution in cases in which it is almost impossible
to determine, inter alias, the existence of elements of governmental
authority; the direction and control by a State. How to draw the line
between State and non state action?*

You are right, this is a difficult issue. But some situations can probably
be handled more easily than others and we could focus on these.

The first instance of application of this principle would, I believe, be in
the course of the *development of new national legislations*. For the
moment, nothing requires to take into account potential impact outside of
the frontiers. One could envisage the obligation of an impact study, a call
for public comments, etc...

As a matter of fact, during the workshop we organized in Baku on the
Geography of Cyberspace, Marietje Schaake, from the European Parliament,
remarked that this is what happens in her work: she receives comments from
people outside of europe on draft legislation in the EP. She said that
parliamentarians now have global constituents. Likewise, she and other
european parliamentarians wrote to the US congress regarding the SOPA/PIPA
debate. And the international campaign against these draft legislations was
an illustration of a grassroots input in a national process because of its
potential transboundary impact.

Actually, the recommendation of the Council of Europe explicitly says :

*1.2. Co-operation*

*States should co-operate in good faith with each other and with relevant
stakeholders at all stages of development and implementation of
Internet-related public policies to avoid any adverse transboundary impact
on access to and use of the Internet. (emphasis added)*

A second aspect is related to *individual decisions*. The rojadirecta case
is an illustration. In such situations, there are two possible avenues: one
is the application of the notion of "comity" advocated by Thomas Schultz,
that would require courts in one country to take into account to a certain
extent the laws of the other jurisdiction involved; another one would be
the creation of specific processes to detect/document such situations and
instances for dealing with them. This is a long shot, but maybe not
unrealistic.

In particular, specific regimes could be developed covering states actions
towards respectively: the DNS layer operators (registries, registrars,
RIRs, etc...) and the major platforms related to the applications (and
content) layer. This can be part of due process requirements.

Finally, the IGF workshop also introduced a *distinction between voluntary
and involuntary transborder impact*. There are cases where the intention is
clearly to extend the sovereign powers on other territories. But there are
also cases of unintended consequences, such as when the filtering of
content in India applied downstream to Omanis because of the peering
arrangements between operators. Such cases may be easier to handle,
provided there are cooperation mechanisms in place.

Best

Bertrand