[governance] Requirements for Deep Packet Inspection in Next Generation Networks

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Fri Dec 7 07:00:10 EST 2012

On 06.12.12 19:38, Louis Pouzin (well) wrote:

> *Requirements for Deep Packet Inspection in Next Generation Networks
> *

I am still curious, who cares?

Back in the days when Internet was more or less
scientific/university/hobby network, there were plenty of ITU
recommendations of all sorts, most intended "for the public good".
Internet grew up by ignoring all of these recommendations, by virtue of
being, after all, an loosely interconnected network of private networks.
The Internet continues to have this architecture and ownership structure
-- this is why it is generally immune to regulation.

As I understand it, this is an recommendation for ITU members. But who
those guys are? Mostly state-owned or state-controlled telcos. Is the
Internet dependent on those guys? No way, whatever they dream. None of
the ISP businesses I know of and care about, are members of the ITU.

Do you envision implementing this recommendation in your home network
(part of the Internet), on your company network (part of the Internet),
on your campus/university network (part of the Internet), on your local,
regional, national, whatever ISP (part of the Internet)? I don't think
so. Simply because of cost reasons and because it does not provide any
value to anyone.

If your Government controlled telco implements these recommendations,
and possibly are they have always done so (I know this has been true for
ours), and if this interferes somehow with your desires, there are
always alternatives and there always will be -- this is how the Internet
grep up to be what is now, in the first place. Just reroute your traffic.

Just my $0.02

Daniel