[governance] Hmmmm... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (from taxes?

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Thu Dec 6 06:39:24 EST 2012

On 06-Dec-2012, at 17:03, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just look at how tedious discussions provoked by the "usual suspects" Gurstein, Parminder, Guru, Auerbach, Norbert are ... some issues are subject to inquisitions, while others views are not. I don't care either way as reason is the ticket for engagement and as long as that is the tenor I/we can deal with things; and agree to disagree,

... see, there's a difference between policy, politics and plain old ranting from someone who has seen it all and doesn't want any part of it, but likewise, doesn't have an agenda.

> Let me deal with the Luddite in me. What you say is true. But Lessig makes the point (long time since I read him, but well worth a read) that the matter is not so black and white as it seems. The tech can and is often policy. They are mutually constitutive. This makes more sense, than saying well web URL is a trade mark. Engineering nor legally was this the case. Yet it is largely now.

Please don't bring twitter sized soundbites (Lessigisms, Shirkyisms ..) into the discussion. They're the new age equivalent of confucian aphorisms, and well, they don't quite do justice to a nuanced issue.   And tech is tech, policy is policy, and while there's a substantial intersection there are clear limits and distinctions where the two are distinct and separate.  One can't subsume the other, or totally ignore the other.

--srs