[governance] Hmmmm... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (from taxes?

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 06:07:40 EST 2012

McTim

Well I am not about to trawl for names and their arguments, but let me
summarise - which is from my perspective: bearing in mind that the
"list" has an imbalance in what is considered balanced.

When push comes to shove, as the saying goes, the argument is that one
MUST engage with ICANN to achieve some reforms of the system. The
question of legitimacy is dealt with here in two primary ways. One, and
often the most vociferous, is to "ignore" the issue of legitimacy. The
second is to say we need to reform it from within (which simply begs the
question of how they relate to those "outside" the system - which ranges
from active engagement (I was pleasantly surprised by the candid yet
studied feedback IT4C submission received on this list :) so its not all
bad) to disdain. It is not that I question the sincerity of those who
work from within, it is the hardest to deal with insiders who seek to do
what needs to be done in the constraints they find themselves in. That
said, it also goes up and down and round and about.  So it is not just
about people, but also how the context plays out. Look at a recent
thread. I and another was accused of an ad hominem attack on a
discussion that immediately went substantive. Not to put to fine a point
on it, but how does an ad hominem attack go substantive because by
definition it cannot. This imbalance in treatment of views and
personalities is incredible to watch, but from my or "our" perspective
it is easy to make deductions about the game being played. And lets
agree that ICANN and its followers are remarkable, they stymied with
single root the multiple rooters... which is remarkable, even if one
disagrees. So, it may or may not be an explicit US Exceptionalism
position, but in practice on my deductions it is. Although there are
some who put it openly as US exceptionalism, and that is a valid and
legitimate view within civil society. But I would be silly if that were
allowed and legitimacy issues were then
"excluded"/marginalised/ridiculed or even subject to faux attacks.

On rights issues there is also a disjunct between developing country
moves to assert control and Developed countries. The standards seem to
me to differ. After all it is better to live in the advanced countries
as these protections go, ain't it? That is fine as it goes, but cannot
be generalised.

As much as techies may like to think this is not politics, some of us
(or simply me) take it almost all as politics. And that means that even
seemingly neutral positions are placed on a political spectrum.

But don't get your knickers in a knot about any of this because I and
some of us are happy to change our minds if persuaded of the validity of
another position or placement of a group/view on the political spectrum...

Riaz