[governance] Hmmmm... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (from taxes?

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Dec 5 14:37:03 EST 2012

So Google and other application/content providers pay nothing for telecom infrastructures? And the Google employees who live in the countries pay no income taxes, no VAT,? And the offices they own pay no rent or no property taxes? I suggest that you think more before you write such things.

(And since when were telecom infrastructures supported by taxes? Have you entered the 21st century yet, or are you still in the 19th century system of state-owned PTTs?)

The discussion is not about whether anyone should ever pay any taxes. The discussion is about your assumption that all taxes are good, and no taxation is ever too much.

It is similar to the stupid conversations we have about the military budget (or school budgets) in the U.S. If you challenge the size of the military budget a host of rightwing nationalists will start screaming about how dangerous the world is and how important national security is. But they do not tell us why are no safer now than we were when the budget was 1/10th of its current size. If you challenge the size of school spending, teachers unions will start screaming about how vital education is. But they will not say anything about the frequent lack of correlation between spending and improved education.