[governance] More... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (to do whatever it pleases and serves its business interests?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Dec 4 13:18:30 EST 2012

Media outside Germany reports that a reason (obviously not the only
reason) Google started its public campaign is because the German media
they are at odds with will not cover Google's side of the argument.
Given this is about a debate over new legislation that's a problem
(democracy and all that.)  Traditional media it seems is not as free
as we might hope when it comes to its own interests.

Is Google the most dangerous player out there?  Go to the .nxt side
and have a look at Russia's proposal for a new Article 3a
<http://news.dot-nxt.com/itu/wcit/c27>.  It's been debated a bit in
WCIT today, and will continue tomorrow.   Offensive that it's even
give 10 minutes floor time.

Yesterday, Dr. Toure made two promises: nothing in WCIT would restrict
freedom of speech, and he intervened in the discussions to seek
support for a proposal that supported including reference in the ITRs
to Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (and he was
also concerned about the bad press not including such a reference
might bring down upon the conference and the ITU). Second promise was
nothing in WCIT was about Internet governance, but for some reason he
hasn't yet found it necessary intervene against the Russian proposal
and the other governments offering it support.  Hypocrite?  We'll see.

At the moment too many people claiming to speak for CS  aren't paying
attention to where the immediate problem lies.  Google sucks, but it's
not going to screw-up the Internet as we know it.

Adam