[governance] Hmmmm... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (from taxes?

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:08:13 EST 2012

It is one thing to claim this in fact and then generalise the principle
that markets "do best". The same cannot be said for eg on the railroad
revolution in the US - which enjoyed massive subsidies. In many
developing countries, regulation that fixed the number of operators
ensured a mix of competition and oligopoly to fund the high
infrastructure entry costs by limiting the number of entrants. In other
areas, other publicly established infrastructure was utilised as well
(in some countries to improve coverage, UCTAD recommends intervention -
sharing of infrastructure costs like cell masts).

In the US railroad revolution the sharing of these fixed infrastructure
costs (from taxes) in this way improved American economic performance.
If one used neoclassical economics to judge the impact of the
transformational railroad, the result is that it "only" improved US
economic performance by 3 to 4%. This was such a major change in the US
economy (it integrated the US as a single market - a huge increase in
scale).  Contrary to the ahistorical writing of history by neoclassicals
, the American economic system in its formative years was radically
different from neoclassicals- rather following Alex Hamilton, Richard
Ely, Daniel Raymond, Frederich List... Then, the understanding was that
low cost infrastructure enhanced economic performance/production.
Nowadays, the neoclassicals believe that "free" infrastructure is bad,
and to improve competitiveness things must be privatised or private -
the tollbooth economy.

Arguments against regulation, as the neoclassicals do, actually reduce
democractic choices about how markets can be shaped and structured - and
how plastic they are - which is no wonder that oligopolists/monopolists
love the arguments on "free markets" because what while what may be
"true" in theory is very beneficial to them in fact. In some of these
markets the market is too violent and perhaps the possibility of looking
at the functioning of the extant reality - oligopolistic market
structures: which are not going to disappear with neoclassical utopia of
perfect competition just around the corner if we only would liberalise
and deregulate more and faster.

While perhaps not directed at Mueller per se, but it would take much
more to deal credibly with an economic theory (or its prescriptions -
neoclassical) after a financial crisis which for it is a theoretical
impossibility: i.e. it cannot happen. But it did.

So the neoclassical jingle of leaving it to markets is controversial.
Markets do work, and when they do they should be left well alone. But do
markets always work? Well that simply depends...