[governance] Big Porn v. Big Web Ruling Could Spell Trouble for ICANN / was Re: new gTLDs

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 02:13:59 EDT 2012

Comments below.

On 2012/08/30 11:40 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> Parminder,
>
> On Aug 29, 2012, at 11:21 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>> I will cut out both the chaff and the detail, sticking to the main
>> issue we are discussing here.
>
> Actually, I was attempting to understand the rationale someone might
> use to assert ICANN is not subject to US law since you stated ICANN
> apologists did this, but I get that you don't want to talk about your
> earlier statement.
>
>> This to me is a convincing case that we should develop and propose a
>> clear alternative for CIR management that is not dependent on the
>> laws and executive authority of one country.
>
> I suspect many, if not all, of the folks you deride as "status
> quoists" would simply respond with "great idea, now where's that
> proposal for a clear alternative again?"

Are we still here? For me it means it is 1) performative (i.e. action in
the making), 2) evolutionary (unless there is a crisis of "vision")

>> Basically, in the circumstances, the only option is to base ICANN on
>> international law, with a host country agreement and immunities for
>> its functions vis a vis its physical location.
>
> As this is not my area of expertise, can you point to a similar case
> where a private organization has been based on international law and
> granted immunities? I'm curious as to how such organizations
> originated and evolved.

WIPO, as stated previously.

>> And the only way to make international law is for all countries to
>> get together and make it, while it being a fully open and
>> participative process for everyone else.
>
> I thought most (all?) international law was the result of treaties
> between governments which may or may not be the result of "a fully
> open and participative process for everyone else".  In fact, my
> impression has been that most international law was sort of the
> opposite of "fully open and participative".

You are correct. In fact, much of multilateralism faces hegemonic bias
of the "opposite of the third world" (i.e. the developed
countries/EU+US+collaborators et al). Nowadays it is less so, but still
very much the same. The faith that developing countries have in
collective solutions shows a commitment to legitimacy/cooperation that
rich countries rhetoric belies.