[governance] Big Porn v. Big Web Ruling Could Spell Trouble for ICANN / was Re: new gTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 30 02:21:16 EDT 2012

David,

I will cut out both the chaff and the detail, sticking to the main issue
we are discussing here. Your scenario building does show that 'it is
possible' that as a result of the current court case on .xxx, this gtld
'may' need to be removed from the root. You also show that it can lead
to a situation that threatens splitting of the root. We all know that
the very meaning of a court case being admitted, and its maintainability
being expressly confirmed by the court, is that the decision can indeed
go either way.

You would agree that, in a similar way that you would prepare for the
security of your house without waiting for a break in to actually
happen, governance systems need to be built with this kind of possible
eventualities in mind. This to me is a convincing case that we should
develop and propose a clear alternative for CIR management that is not
dependent on the laws and executive authority of one country.

Basically, in the circumstances, the only option is to base ICANN on
international law, with a host country agreement and immunities for its
functions vis a vis its physical location. And the only way to make
international law is for all countries to get together and make it,
while it being a fully open and participative process for everyone else.
(In the same way as the 'only' process for making law in the US is for
its legislature to make it). Now, if someone has an alternative, doable,
process of making international law, one must come up with it (Milton's
mysterious solution in his mysterious book notwithstanding).

parminder