[governance] Global governance structure outdated, says India

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 12:39:06 EDT 2012

Dominique

Labels at this level tend to be imprecise. So concepts like South, Third
World, Global South are NOT to be dogmatically affirmed in all
circumstances. However in many instances there is a South/TW/GS position
that stands counterposed to the developed countries, Group B, G7/8...
for instance in CIR while there were some exceptions it would not be out
of order to put it into a North-South context...

What is important from a civil society point of view for me is that the
Third World and concepts like this serve as an organising principle.

And On Milton's query Non-Aligned from what is a query that has
historical roots, but that is given shape by the uber-neoliberalisers
(for others and themselves, but for themselves they are a little fussy)
or the dominant or hegemons - or what have you, typically but not always
the North.

And yes, good initiatives can come from the North, hence it is not to be
dogmatically affirmed. However, some of us do choose to "look a gift
horse in the mouth" like GMO corn for Zambia during a famine or CIR.
Institutions have a lag in adapting to change - like the UN Security
Council. Another institution of interest to the North would be the G7,
in charge of maintaining financial stability ; ) (yea go figure...)

Riaz