[governance] Economic, Energy, Agricultural and Trade Issues: Smart Sanctions: Confronting Security Threats with Economic Statecraft

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Aug 26 09:41:59 EDT 2012

Sanctions against other countries as a coercive measure was bad enough,
but still country to country sanction have been around for long, and can
be understood. What is called as 'smart sanctions' below is a very
problematic category - whereby US state is able to exercise coercive
power on specific individuals and groups within another country. Till
now use of coercive power within the territory of a state was a
(defining) sovereign right of the concerned national governments. This
new development potentially re-writes the political scape of our world.

Expectedly, Internet as a cross-border artefact of communication and
control, with US's hegemonic position vis a vis the global Internet, is
a key instrument of such selective 'smart sanctions', which is and will
be the new basis of extra-territorial political control by the US. (BTW,
the most unacceptable 'drone attack's by the US inside Pakistan's
territory is another case of such targeted 'smart sanctions' as against
conventional country to country wars.)

It will be interesting to know the details of how the US based Internet
behemoths like google, facebook, microsoft etc actually collaborate with
the US state for such 'smart sanctions' which will form the basis of
US's global control. The stuff we have been reading about the US state
forming close operating relationships with these global Internet
companies is lot about such 'smart sanctions'. And there is such a cloak
of secrecy over these arrangements (for ex

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2012/03/doj-asks-court-to-keep-secret-any-partnership-between-google-nsa.html
<http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2012/03/doj-asks-court-to-keep-secret-any-partnership-between-google-nsa.html>

There are very dangerous forerunners to a new US hegemonic global regime
with selective co-optation of groups and classes from different
countries. Manuel Castell's famous network theory gives a very good
analysis of the proclivities of the network for such centralised control
with selective co-optation. It is chillingly alarming how true to the
theory is the phenomenon playing out.

For those who wonder why the ICANN model under US control which largely
deals with not very consequential issues (and I agree to this more than
most people here) is such a red rag to so many of us. It is so becuase
the US control over the ICANN model, and its support among so many
despite its patently undemocratic nature, represents the new paradigm of
use of Internet for some very serious and unprecedented hegemonic
control over the world by the US and its allied groups.

parminder