[governance] Big Porn v. Big Web Ruling Could Spell Trouble for ICANN / was Re: new gTLDs

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 04:55:17 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Dominique Lacroix <dl at panamo.eu> wrote:

>  Le 26/08/12 07:18, David Conrad a écrit :
>
> [...] Personally, I've always found it somewhat depressing that people in
> forums such as this focus on stuff like what TLDs will be created or who
> has the power to deny those TLDs when the _real_ "critical Internet
> resources" are things like fibers and base stations and electricity and
> environments that allow folks to interconnect their devices and networks
> together. None of these are in ICANN's purview, but I guess it is a lot
> easier for folks to throw rocks at ICANN and/or the USG than deal with the
> policies and infrastructures in their own countries.
>
> Hi David, please allow me to offer a slightly different perspective
primarily as one who is from a region where infrastructure is a challenge.
I respectfully disagree with your comment about people not wanting to deal
with policies and infrastructures in their own countries and would rather
throw stones at ICANN. The tLD market also affects us in the Pacific.

 I would not be surprised that this is a view commonly held by many as the
issues and complexities of small island developing states are not rarely
known because it is often seen as insignificant in the grand scheme of
things. [The good news is that only recently within the IGF is there
opportunity for LDCs, SIDS to share their challenges and also learn from
others in the process.]

There are islands such as Christmas Is in Kiribati where in order to have
repairs done on base stations need to fly to Fiji before they fly to Tarawa
[capital of Kiribati] before they fly to Tarawa to pick up supplies.
Barriers of trade include excessive transportation costs from high
petroleum costs etc. For quite along while I have been liaising with
Vendors to ask about energy efficient base stations because much of the
OPEX for most telcos in the region is spent on petroleum etc but have often
been told that the more energy efficient base stations and components are
expensive than the regular ones.

The recent Pacific Broadband Forum which was facilitated by the ITU gave us
the opportunity to hear first hand from countries in the Pacific and this
included the Private Sector and Government. There were a quite a few people
from the Pacific ISOC Chapter, myself included.  Believe me when I say that
we in the Pacific are doing something about it and we are committed to
ensuring that the digital divide is conquered.

Whilst the Pacific comprises of 22 countries and territories, 16 or which
are independent nation states, at least 1 country and 2 territories derive
a significant portion of their GDP from .tv, .nu and now .tk.  Tuvalu the
holder of .tv is a country that is sinking and its neighbouring country,
Kiribati is also sinking because of impact of climate change etc.

As you can imagine most countries still do not have internet exchange
points because you need a minimum of three at least to start peering.
Whilst World Bank and others are laying global submarine cables in Tonga
for instance, wholesale transit costs are still high which is of course
passed down to ISPs and the consumer inevitably. A lot of the issues on the
WCIT 12 Agenda as Dominique mentioned deal with some of these matters.
There are certain things which they can do within their jurisdictions but
there are other layers that need discussion with countries.

For the record, if we were anti-ICANN we would not participate in the ICANN
processes. Development requires collaboration amongst all stakeholders.

>  That's exactly why WCIT-12 in Dubai has to deal with some Internet
> matters. Not all, but it's part.
> Thanks David.
>
> @+, Dominique
>
> --