[governance] Big Porn v. Big Web Ruling Could Spell Trouble for ICANN / was Re: new gTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 23 02:03:49 EDT 2012

James

Yes, ICANN has never claimed it is not subject to US law. It will be
ridiculous to do so for any responsible organisation based in the US.
Problem is, ICANN apologists claim so, especially when caught on the
wrong foot in global discussions - like on this list - faced with
legitimate criticism of how a global infrastructure can be managed as
per legal and executive authority of one country.

They first claim that ICANN is /de jure/ independent, but when pushed
with facts, they try to say, ok, well, at least, it is /de facto/,
independent of US laws. Now, this case, with an outcome that could go
either way, shows that it is not even /de facto /independent. So, I was
just asking those ICANN - US relationship apologists, what have they to
say now. But they seme to ducking the question right now :).

parminder